Friday, August 12, 2011

At Camp

Every summer I know I've posted something about our time at camp and how I hope that Lucy - and now Jamie - will grow up loving it as much as I remember as a kid.  So far, so good.  This summer Lucy has really taken off on my old favorite camp activities: swimming, climbing rocks, running in the woods, sitting at the camp seat to have breakfast, and playing with those eggs.  Jamie is still playing it cool.

These are some of my favorite shots of Lucy climbing on the rocks (not alone, mind you).  I'm not sure when my parents started letting me climb around and explore alone, but three seems too young.  Especially when you know how BIG some of those rocks are and how far of a drop off the edge there is.  I still have a rock scar on my leg, though there is no proof that was parental negligence.  :)
 
 And speaking of camp rocks ... It's just not quite as cool when it's not the rainbow rock.  We'll have to talk about walking to the mountain rock.  Katahdin rock?  Burleigh rock?  Wouldn't it be nice to just knock on their door and ask them to re-paint the rainbow?  By the way, this is another one of my childhood memories that grew larger in my mind.  It isn't nearly as far away as I remember.
And the swimming.  So far I don't think Lucy has been nabbed by one of the toe-biting fish, which would likely ruin all the water progress we've made this summer.

Eric tied a rope to her float and towed her half way out to the rocks before she decided she wanted to turn around.  
 
Lucy also spent a ton of time just splashing around in the shallows.  Jamie even got in on the fun in his Bumbo on the nicest day.  I did see if the foam seat would float, which it did, but it was entirely too unstable for the open water.  So Jamie got a princess boat instead.
 
 
 
But most of Jamie's swimming was in the tub.
We had a campfire to make s'mores.  Eric told Lucy he was going to make her a really yummy sandwich.  "Like peanut butter and jelly?" she asked.  Even better.  "Just jelly?"  We build the fire (surprise surprise) after Jamie went to bed and Lucy was not entirely sure about the whole thing.  She didn't like the marshmallow at all, refused to try a s'more, and didn't get any closer than the photo shows, though Eric tried to show her how to build the fire.  I, however, toasted marshmallows for myself just like I was ten again.
 
We had a great visit from Sara, Tim, and Jacob.  Boy oh boy does Lucy love cousin Jacob.  And he loves her right back.  I've never seen a 12-year-old boy act like that around kids.  Super cute.
Shorty had a good time too, getting to wander around like all the other dogs people bring to the lake.  Every time I bring her somewhere, I think it might be the last time, she's getting so old.  Still kicking, though.  She withstood the ultimate test of old age - meeting the shih tzu down the road and not trying to eat her.
 Grandma and Grandpa came up the last day and really, the only thing that could make camp better is a visit from people who love you more than anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment