Monday, February 13, 2012

Preschool Project

Lucy's preschool is doing a Valentine's Day party and I signed up under the "activity" slot.  I thought and web searched and thought some more, and ended up with this, which I'm pretty proud of.

I started off by printing hearts on cardstock.  Since this is getting the preschool touch, I then glued the cardstock to paperboard (cereal boxes, etc), making each sheet significantly sturdier.  I cut the hearts out with my trusty Cutco scissors that i paid $100 for fourteen years ago.  I bought them when I was nineteen and had a friend selling Cutco after she got pregnant and her boyfriend left her.  I clearly remember searching for an item I could afford and thought I'd use.  No regrets - even though my hands are way too wimpy to cut through a penny like Jill did in the demonstration, I bet they'd still do it.  Even hefty scissors were tough with the number of hearts I cut out, but this morning the purple indent on my middle finger is gone and I'm left with minimal palm cramping.  Last, I cut the adhesive magnet sheets and stuck them to the backs of the heart shapes.
 After watching Lucy play hours of Curious George on pbskids.borg (yes, she is convinced it's borg) I know that these are early math concepts: sorting, matching, and counting.
Though I think I made the right decision choosing to go into secondary education, I do enjoy channeling my inner pre-K teacher.  Now if only I could have remembered that the day I signed up to run the activity at the holiday party was one of the two days this month that I've got to stay late.  I hope they enjoy it!

And just for mom, who doesn't have a facebook... me and John Gidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment