Monday, June 27, 2011

CFC day 6

Tonight, I stared down a frozen pizza and won.  Though day four was the hump day in time, today was the hump day in feeling.  I didn't wake up starving and haven't had the general feeling of dissatisfaction all day either.  In fact, I felt pretty good with the food I had (though I did almost grab a gooey lump of cheese off the pan while serving slices to Lucy).  I've also lost about five pounds, so I'll take skinny without sparkly. 

This morning I only had about 3/4 cup of oatmeal left, so I decided to use it to make a sort of cobbler.  I used apples, peaches, and frozen blueberries mixed with maple syrup.  I mixed the oatmeal with a couple of tablespoons of oil, which was inadequate.  If I were to do this again with no butter and brown sugar, I'd probably pre-cook the oatmeal and mix it with honey to achieve a better topping.  Out of the oven the oatmeal was still dry, not at all crispy or cobbler-y.  After cooking, there was enough liquid at the bottom of the pan between the syrup and blueberries that I just mixed it all together and it turned out pretty good.
 

In fact, this is what fed me most of the day, I ate a little more than half of it for breakfast and my first lunch.  Around two I had some leftover rice and dal, and was finally going to get around to making dinner for myself (the black bean and quinoa salad everyone's been raving about) after seven.  It was a really good salad, though could probably have reached the phenomenal mark if I had all of the ingredients.  No green peppers, no chiles, no corriander, and I used one juiced fresh lemon with a couple of tablespoons of the lime juice from a plastic lime, which got a little overpowering.  Oh yeah, and balsamic instead of red wine vinegar.  I'll have to try it again in the future when I actually buy everything to make it, but it was good enough as stands that I brought a tupperware full over to my neighbors.

What I really like about this CFC is the way it has forced me back into actually preparing food, rather than just grabbing whatever's quickest.  The quick options are definitely NOT on the CFC food-approved list.  With two little ones, it's not always easy to cook, but Lucy can be self-sustaining for at least half an hour and Jamie is just so agreeable, that he often hangs out in the baby rocker in the kitchen watching me do dishes or cook.  About a month ago, I heated an afternoon cup of coffee in the microwave, and when it beeped, Lucy looked up at me and said "dinner's ready?"  Whoops.  From boiling lentils, to scraping corn off the cob for the quinoa salad tonight, I've re-invigorated by culinary inclinations.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin!

    I found you through Emilie's blog! Small world right! I am a CFC drop out! I ended up being in Portland and met up with my friend Laura (McMahon- also an RA?) and lets face it there are too many good places to eat in Portland and stay on a cleanse!
    Anyhow, looks like you are doing well! Miss running into you around town!
    I have a blog too... feel free to stalk me!
    http://maine2mumbai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems we had some similar conclusions, and 5 lb weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job on finishing the CFC! And no, I don't in any way mind you passing my post along to your sister. I think it is awesome actually. Thank you. How great to find you out here in the blogosphere thanks to Emilie who I swear is bringing the world together.

    ReplyDelete