Thursday, June 23, 2011

Is This Clean Food?

Lucy gave Jamie a bottle today (sort of).  She wasn't very good at keeping it at an angle he could suck, and then got bored and dumped him after about 5 minutes, but what can you expect from someone who's under 3?  As I've been reading and thinking about the ingredients of everything since signing on to the CFC, I made the mistake of re-reading what's actually in baby formula, galactooligosaccharides and all.  I wouldn't touch this stuff with a 10-foot pole, and on top of that it smells awful.  However, after making the fatal error of not being consistent enough with a bottle with Lucy, then going back to work where at the sitter she NEVER took a bottle (sorry Kimmie) .... I won't make that mistake again. 
In other news, I'm two days in to the CFC, and I know, I know, Emilie, sparkly doesn't come for a while.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty much the exact opposite of sparkly.  I feel sick and yucky.  I'm basically a sugar-free, gluten-free vegan, and thinking back to my vegan days (definitely NOT sugar or gluten-free), they weren't great-feeling days at the end, either.  I haven't yet eaten anything that's on the no-no list, but unless something changes, I might have to before the week's over.  I even had a good friend ask, "Are you ok?  You don't look like you feel well."  Sometimes people say that when I forget to put some make-up on, but yesterday that wasn't the case.  My neighbors think it's just a total sugar crash (I'm known to inundate them with baked goods) and say it should get better after the first two days.  It certainly isn't because I'm not eating enough.  Yesterday I had a pile of snacks first thing in the morning, banana, nuts, rice cake with almond butter, a big bowl of oatmeal with strawberries and honey for breakfast, soup for lunch, and a huge salad plus brown rice and dal for dinner.  Then an apple, strawberries, more nuts, another rice cake with almond butter for snacks.  Today, I think I'm going to try to do baked tempeh with sweet potatoes and onions (a recipe from Maria) and stuffed squash (from Joanna).

Stuffed Squash:

     2+ lb butternut squash, baked and scooped
     about 3 T. oil
     8 scallions, minced
     3 garlic cloves, minced
     1/2 T. minced ginger
     salt and pepper to taste.
     1/2 C. breadcrumbs (I'll be substituting quinoa)

Sautee scallions, garlic and ginger.
Mix squash flesh well until it's chunky.  Add scallion mixture.
Place in baking dish.
Lightly mix breadcrumbs (or quinoa) with oil and top squash mix.
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, broil to brown top if necessary.

Not sure how this is going to turn out with the quinoa, so we'll see.  Also, my kale chips were the pits.  I followed a recipe I found on the internet and they were awful.  I couldn't decide if I screwed them up or if it was simply an acquired taste.  My neighbors tried them and said not only did it seem I did something wrong, but the kale had a strong broccoli taste too.  So, no salty chip-like snacks for me.  Today, I am going to make a hummus in which I will dip .... carrot sticks?  Bean city.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what recipe you used for kale chips but we make crispy kale all the time and LOVE it. I do use parmesean cheese, though, so this may be for when the CFC is all over.

    Cut kale away from the stem in pieces. Lay out on a lightly sprayed baking sheet. Spray the kale with cooking spray. Sprinkle with grated parmesean cheese and salt liberally. Bake at 375 for 5-10 minutes (depending on type of kale and the amount on the pan) until it begins to blacken a little at the edges.

    The kale should be crispy, but not burned. If it is chewy put it back in. You may need to do a thin layer of kale in 2 pans to achieve crispy.

    Don't know if that helps! Good job on the cleanse! I'm just finishing day 5!

    ReplyDelete